Lecturer in Polymer Characterisation [2016 – ]
Previously: Research Associate at the Chemistry Department, working on a project sponsored by the Wellcome Trust for Prof. S. Rimmer, Prof. S. MacNeil and Prof. C. W. I. Douglass [2013-2016], PhD project supervised by Prof. S Rimmer and Dr. L. Swanson, Sponsored by SNF.UK and funded by the ESPSRC [2010-2013]
Thomas Swift received a degree as a master of Chemistry (MChem Industry) from the University of York and worked in AkzoNobel’s Decorative Paints division researching novel film functionality.
Since completing his PhD at the University of Sheffield he has specialised in stimuli responsive polymer synthesis and analysis, in a range of fields and applications including; fluorescence tagging, material characterisation, solution behavior of smart polymers and an understanding of water treatment processes. Practical experience with free radical, RAFT and ATRP methods of synthesising both linear polymers, branched polymers and hydrogels, extensive use of GPC techniques and time resolved fluorescence spectrometers.
His PhD, carried out at the University of Sheffield, was entitled ‘Smart Polymers for the Detection of Polymeric Contamination in Fresh Water’, and he is now working on a new project with LV Prasad and the Wellcome Trust.
- R. Plenderleith, T. Swift and S. Rimmer, RSC Advances, 2014, 4, 50932-50937.
- T. Swift, L. Swanson and S. Rimmer, RSC Advances, 2014, 4, 57991-57995.
- T. Swift, L. Swanson, A. Bretherick and S. Rimmer, Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 2015, 1 332-340.
- T. Swift, L. Swanson, M. Geoghegan and S. Rimmer, Soft Matter, 2016, 12, 2542-2549.
- T. Swift, J. Lapworth, K. Swindells, L. Swanson, and S. Rimmer, RSC Advances, 2016, 12, 2542-2549.
- A. Mckenzie, R. Hoskins, T. Swift, C. Grant and S. Rimmer, Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2017, 7577-7590
- Thomas Swift, Richard Hoskins, Richard Telford, Richard Plenderleith, David Pownall, Stephen Rimmer, ,Journal of Chromatography A, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2017.05.050
- Thomas Swift, Natalie Paul, Linda Swanson, Maria Katsikogianni & Stephen Rimmer, Förster Resonance Energy Transfer across interpolymer complexes of poly(acrylic acid) and poly(acrylamide), Polymer, 2017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2017.06.069
- Laura Shallcross, Kevin Roche, Caroline J Wilcock, Kenneth Stanton, Thomas Swift, Stephen Rimmer, Paul V Hatton & Sebastian G. Spain, The effect of hyperbranched poly(acrylic acid)s on the morphology and size of precipitated nanoscale (fluor)hydroxyapatite, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2017, 10.1039/C7TB00144D
- Pavintorn Teratanatorn, Richard Hoskins, Thomas Swift, C. W. Ian Douglas, Joanna Shepherd, and Stephen Rimmer, Binding of bacteria to poly (N-isopropylacrylamide) modified with vancomycin: Comparison of behavior of linear and highly branched polymers, Biomacromolecules, 2017, DOI: 10.1021/acs.biomac.7b00800
Selected Public Appearances:
- September 2012, Researchers Night, University of Sheffield – Water for Energy and Life
- June 2013, MACRO Young Researchers Meeting, University of Nottingham – Presentation
- July 2013, Northern England Postgraduate Chemistry Conference, University of York – Poster
- August 2013, APME Conference, University of Durham – Poster
- August 2014, ACS National Meeting & Exposition, San Francisco – Presentation and Poster
- September 2014, Nothern Universities Postgraduate Symposium, University of Sheffield – Chairman
- January 2015 – RSC Biomaterials Chemistry Special Interest Group, King’s College London – Presentation
- January 2015 -Macro 2015, Kolkata – Presentation
- April 2016 – MACRO Young Researchers Meeting, University of Liverpool – Presentation
- April 2017 – ACS National Meeting & Exposition, San Francisco – Presentation and Poster
- Number of publications: 23
- Total Citations – 223
- H Index – 7
- G Index – 14
- I10 Index – 4
Co-authors and collaborators: